Listed below are seven proofs, when taken together, show that the Sabbath is still in effect and to be observed by Christians today.
1) Mark 2:27-28 — The Sabbath was made specifically for man, and Christ is the Lord of the Sabbath, not some other day.
2) Genesis 2:2-3 — The Sabbath was made by God through Christ at the same time that man was made, and was set apart as holy time for all mankind forever.
3) Exodus 16 — Israel had lost the knowledge of the Sabbath in the Egyptian slavery and God showed them which day it was by means of special miracles – and thereby, re-emphasized the importance of keeping the Sabbath holy.
4) Exodus 20: 8-11) — The Sabbath was one of the Ten Commandments.
5) Luke 4:16 — Jesus kept the Sabbath.
6) Acts 17:2 — Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, also kept the Sabbath.
7) Isaiah 66:23 — The Sabbath will be kept in the future when God’s Kingdom will be ruling on the earth.
From this we see 1) that the Sabbath was made for man, 2) that It was established as holy time, set aside for man forever, 3) that it was given before Israel was given the Ten Commandments, 4) that it is one of the Ten Commandments, 5 that Jesus kept it, 6) that Paul kept it, and 7) that it will be kept in the Millennium when God’s Kingdom will rule.
It is interesting to note in Acts 15 that the apostles and elders had come together because of various disputes which had to be cleared up. If there were any question concerning the Sabbath or the annual holy days, surely they would have been discussed at that meeting.
Thus we, as Christians, ought to be keeping the Sabbath, today. For further proof, please read our free booklet, “God’s Commanded Holy Days.”